The Dakar Rally is getting close to the end. The caravan of trucks that survived the harsh conditions of the first 11 stages arrived today at the bivouac in Río Cuarto, in the province of Córdoba, after racing 290 kilometres in dunes and WRC roads and driving almost 500 kilometres of the connecting section, since the start of the day in San Juan.
After some difficult stages with punctures in his #500 Powerstar, Gerard de Rooy placed his IVECO in the Top 5 of today’s special, but he was unable to narrow the gap with the leaders due to a great amount of dust in part of the stage. The PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO Team leader finished in fifth place, 14m41s behind Eduard Nikolaev, winner of the special.
“In the last 100 kilometres I was driving behind a cloud of dust and there were trees to contend with. It was impossible to overtake, the risk of writing off the truck was just too great,” stated Gerard de Rooy after the stage.
Ton van Genugten, with the #507 IVECO Trakker finished very close to teammate De Rooy, less than three minutes behind. This left him 17m40s off the best time in sixth position, and clearly shows he delivered a great performance in almost every special in Dakar Rally.
Wuf van Ginkel started Stage 11 one minute behind Van Genugten and finished in eighth place, five minutes behind his teammate and 22m43s away from the leader. With van Ginkel’s placement, three PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO Team trucks are in the Top 10 of the stage.
Meanwhile, Federico Villagra came very close to winning the special, having lost the lead in the last part to Eduard Nikolaev and finishing just 52s behind him. This places the Argentine with the #502 IVECO Powerstar in fourth place in the overall classification.
On Saturday, the 2017 Dakar Rally will reach its final destination in Buenos Aires, with the ceremonial ramp where winners will be crowned after completing more than 9,000 kilometres. But first, participants will race in a 64 kilometres loop stage in Río Cuarto to proclaim the champions of the Dakar Rally’s 39th edition.
Stage 11 Results – Dakar 2017
1. Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz) 3h56m47s
2. Federico Villagra (IVECO) +52s
3. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +9m53s
4. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) +11m54s
5. Gerard de Rooy (IVECO) +14m41s
6. Ton van Genugten (IVECO) +17m40s
8. Wuf van Ginkel (IVECO) +22m43s
Overall Classification – Dakar 2017
1. Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz) 27h23m59s
2. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) +17m09s
3. Gerard de Rooy (IVECO) +38m58s
4. Federico Villagra (IVECO) +58m39s
5. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +2h26m17s
15. Ton van Genugten (IVECO) +6h55m21s
16. Wuf van Ginkel (IVECO) +8h17m08s
– See more at: http://www.iveco.com/en-us/press-room/release/Pages/Dakar-2017-Day-13.aspx#sthash.Zt4UkJUT.dpuf